Why I was your choice for your next Police and Crime Commissioner for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough
I was a police officer and have the vital experience needed for a great PCC
- I have dedicated my life to protecting the public, keeping you and your family safe.
- I was a serving officer for 30 years: 10 years in the Met and 20 years in Cambridgeshire.
- I worked in both frontline and neighbourhood policing.
- After retiring from the force, I became a senior official at the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners (APCC) in Westminster – the body helping PCCs to develop policy positions and influence change.
- I already have the contacts and know-how to represent you where it matters #GetCrimeCut.
What I bring to the job
I am passionate about our county which is why I wanted to serve as your Police and Crime Commissioner (PCC). This is where I have worked, where my parents live, where I met and married my wife, where my children were born and go to school, and where I have many friends.
As a 16-year-old schoolboy, I was asked at my interview to become a police officer “Why do you want to be in the police?”. I replied that I wanted to catch criminals, help victims and keep people safe.
My motivation remains the same – but now, with experience on my side, I want to do even more.
Elected by you – the people of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough – as your PCC I will ensure we deliver the most effective, innovative and efficient police service, holding the chief constable to account, and championing the force.
My policing experience
I started my career in the Metropolitan Police Service in 1983.
I transferred to Cambridgeshire Constabulary in 1998 and moved to Ely, where I have lived with my family ever since.
I have policed across the whole county, with responsibilities in our cities, towns and rural communities and understand we all deserve to feel safe.
My first-hand experience in policing, included frontline and neighbourhood policing; public order; working in the Diplomatic Protection Group (guarding, among others, Margaret Thatcher); and as a detective in a variety of roles including homicide, covert policing and public protection.
I have received numerous commendations throughout my career including...
- Improving crime detection rates in East and South Cambridgeshire by 100%.
- A national role in supporting government with new sexual offences legislation.
My policing career culminated as director of a nine-force collaborative IT and business change programme, responsible for an £80m budget over the course of the programme.
My police and crime commissioner experience
Upon retirement in 2017, I became a senior official at the Association of Police and Crime Commissioners (APCC) in Westminster.
This role placed me at the very heart of government, attending and influencing strategic meetings chaired by ministers of state – including the Serious Violence Taskforce, Strategic Economic Crime Board and ministerial round-table events.
I led several All-Party Parliamentary Groups on policing and security.
I successfully lobbied on many key issues – including securing £100m to combat serious violence and tougher laws for child sexual grooming.
My experience at the APCC gave me in-depth knowledge of the role of the PCC, locally, regionally and nationally.
I am proud also to have excellent relationships with Police and Crime Commissioners, particularly in neighbouring counties, which will enable us to coordinate local policy development and collaboration.
My priority will be to get the best deal for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough – and ensure our voice is heard nationally.
- I am a policeman at heart, not a career politician.
- I will get the job done by making sure your police force is delivering for you.
- I have a track record of honesty, integrity and vision.
- I have dedicated my life to protecting the public, keeping you and your families safe, and wish to continue to do so.
- I already have the relationships at local and national level to start making an impact from day one.
As your Police and Crime Commissioner...
I am immensely proud of our police officers, men and women who put themselves in danger to protect us – I will support them in keeping us all safe.
As your PCC, I will make sure we have the most innovative, effective and efficient force in the country – reducing crime and keeping us all safe.
- I will champion victims – not invest in criminals.
- I will work hard to end the automatic release from prison of all dangerous criminals, including sex offenders.
- I will ensure free speech is maintained while putting to end protestors that reap havoc in our communities.
I will be working for you and with you, listening to you and ensuring the chief constable responds to your needs.